Embracing every moment of the journey

Over the past few months or so, I've hit a bit of a lull in terms of finding peace with myself in my off time from work. I have been in this constant search for my meaning and purpose. Who is Carl? What am I passionate about? What am I supposed to do in my time here on earth? I like to remain extremely busy. I've always considered myself a motivated individual, however, I feel as if I get in my own way some times in regards to unwinding and truly embracing peace and happiness. At times, I feel as if I take a day to lounge around, that I am missing out on accomplishing something, which in turn makes me upset with myself. By staying busy with either my full time job, grad school, teaching a course or any other activity, I accept that I put in an acceptable effort for that day. I like going 100 miles per hour all of the time in pursuit of the next big milestone or goal in my life, however, recently, I've realized that each milestone or goal that I reach, there is a quick pat on the back until that becomes a thing of the past and the next goal is now the direct target. Its almost like a never-ending escalator ride where I find myself running against the automated stairs in the opposite direction.

After speaking with my close friends, I came to the realization that it is extremely important to enjoy every moment of life as it unfolds and to embrace all of the lessons that come with each day. We cannot change the past, however, we can learn from our journey and continue to live life. I am guilty of looking back in time and saying "If I only did this..." and beating myself up over mistakes and decisions I wish I could have done over. When I also reflect back, I realize that I am incredibly fortunate and grateful for all of the wonderful people in my life, all of the great experiences, and all of the fun that I have had over my twenty-nine years of life. I hope everyone that reads this will find confidence in themselves to chase their dreams, find their happiness and embrace every single moment that each day brings forth. While I may still be trying to figure everything out, I realized that it is okay to not always have everything figured out.

Keep working hard, be kind to others and be your true authentic self.

Enjoy!

Carl

Comments

Popular Posts